Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Bright New Jacket

Happy New Years Eve!
Here is a jacket that I just finished today.  I've been working on it for about four days.

It was made using Butterick 5469.  I got this pattern a while back when it was on sale at JoAnns for 99 cents.  The fabric is a pink linen that I picked up at a thrift store for $1 for about 2 1/2 yards. I used a white sheet for the lining that I also got from a thrift store.
Butterick 5469


I've been running out of space that I can store fabric yet I keep buying more, so I picked this to use to clear up some space.  I looked around on Pinterest for ideas on what to make with it and found these:
Source: Kendieveryday.blogspot.com via Casey on Pinterest


Source: Tumblr.com via Casey on Pinterest
Source: Lanaloustyle.blogspot.com via Casey on Pinterest
Source: Zara.com via Casey on Pinterest
I finally decided to make a jacket and luckily the only jacket pattern that I owned was perfect.

I according to my measurements, I should have cut a 12 but  I always cut 1 or 2 sizes smaller.  I ended up cutting an 8 and it fit great.  I made view A but with the sleeves from view D.   I also added a 3 inch sleeve facing since the sleeve length was a bit shorter than I wanted so I didn't want to take away too much with an actual hem. I also wanted to make sure the white lining didn't show.

Next time I make this jacket I would probably add 1/4 inch to the center back (Center Back, Under and Upper Collar).  This would help make the jacket a little looser with out going up an entire size for all pieces... which would be too much.  The size is fine for everyday movements but I need a little more ease for when I am conducting.  I added top stitching to some of the seams.


Overall I am very pleased with my new jacket... especially since it only cost me $4 overall!  I will be definitely using this pattern again and may even alter the design a bit more next time... maybe make the center front bottom corners less rounded (more like the jacket shown above from the first pin).  I highly recommend this jacket pattern!

Here is the link to my review on Pattern Review!

Linked to -

2 comments:

  1. Great job! We like your version of our jacket and would like to post some of your photos and a link to your blog on our Butterick Patterns Facebook page. Please let us know if you approve by emailing us at butterick@facebook.com
    Thanks and good luck with your sewing and blog.
    The Butterick Facebook Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so impressed, this turned out great - a wonderful color, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts - Suggestions? I love hearing your ideas!