Friday, March 30, 2012

Go-to Black Dress

I have yet another thing to show you from what I finished a month ago on spring break (yea, I took advantage of the extra time to sew). This time it is another dress, McCall's 6201, to be exact.




I made mine out of some suiting fabric that I picked up at Hancock Fabrics.  The dress is meant to be fully lined, but I didn't do it, I just wanted to try the pattern out quickly to see if I liked it.  Since I did not line the dress, I used self-made bias tape to finish the neck and bottom half of the arm holes.  The good news is that I like the dress as a whole. 

I made the dress in a size 10, my normal, even though my measurements suggest that I make a 12.  I did have to take the dress in on the side seams from the hips down. 

The other problem that I noticed is that the bust darts are just a tad high... not so much that I felt like I needed to unpick and resew, but enough to make me want to change them for next time. 

I tried out the sleeves from view A, but they did not work for me... too pointy.  I ended up removing the original ones and replacing the sleeves with some cute cap sleeves from Butterick 5317.  I need to have this dress for teaching, otherwise I would have left off sleeves completely.  I don't like having to wear a jacket or cardigan over this dress all day, even if it gets warm, just because it is sleeveless.  These cap sleeves will definitely be seeing many more sleeveless dress patterns.

I may raise the neckline by about 3/4 to 1 inch next time I make this, since I don't want to take a chance of it gaping with it being somewhat of a low scoop neck.

I added used an invisible zipper on this dress instead of the regular zipper that they suggested.
 


Here is a close up of the bodice:


The dress was  very quick and easy to sew.  The most annoying thing about making it was marking the 6 darts (two vertical ones on the front, two vertical ones on the back, and the two horizontal bust darts).

Overall, it is a great dress and is very versatile.  I have already worn it for a performance, last Saturday with a bright blue cardigan.  I am also thinking of wearing it with a bright belt (red or hot pink) with it, as well.


Casey

6 comments:

  1. You chose a very nice pattern and it made a perfect "little black dress"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great LBD!

    Thanks so much for linking up at Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL!

    ~Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from Making Monday Marvelous! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress looks fantastic. I think a red or pink belt would be great too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I found your blog via Pattern Review. I have had this pattern for months and I'm finally making it. I made a muslin tonight and found the same issues with the darts!! No idea how to fix this though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had to move the darts in some of my other tops (Colette Sorbetto) after making a muslin... it is not too difficult. Here is a great link on a how to move them. http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/moving-a-bust-dart I would move the horizontal darts based on the muslin and just end the vertical darts lower than originally marked. Good luck and its good that you caught that before actually making the dress in the fashion fabric.
      Casey

      Delete

Thoughts - Suggestions? I love hearing your ideas!