Monday, March 26, 2012

Modcloth Inspired Dress

This is my favorite dress that I have made so far! It is perfect for in the classroom or on the weekends/breaks.
A while back I had pinned this dress
Source: Modcloth via Casey on Pinterest
So after picking up some great teal fabric for really cheap (which I blogged about here), I couldn't decide what to make with it.  No problem, just look on pinterest.  While looking through my boards I was amazed to see the above dress that I had pinned months ago.  It was basically the same color as my fabric and I had just picked up McCalls' 6503 just a few days prior.

I decided that I would go with the full, pleated skirt that was included in the pattern because honestly, I was tired of sewing fitted skirts and dresses when I made this.  It worked out perfectly because I realized that I really like this type of skirt on me.
My measurements suggest that should cut a 12, but I cut an 8 for the bodice and a 10 for the waist and skirt.  Next time I will be shortening the bodice by 3/4 in.

I really love this neckline.  Instead of a regular zipper, I inserted an invisible zipper.  I also did not make the button placket functional.  I just slip-stitched it closed and added the two buttons.  This was mainly because I did not have three of the correct size buttons on hand that matched the dress.  These two that I had looked really good, but wouldn't hold the front shut on their own without gaping.

As you can see above, the waist seam is not enclosed like the pattern has you sew it.  This is perfect for altering it as you sew, or later on.  I also did not sew the waist facing to the dress like the instructions say to.  I pressed the top and bottom edge under 5/8 in. and pinned it, wrong sides together to the corresponding waist section... use lots of pins (on the outside of the dress) to keep the folds in the right spot.  I then top stitched the waist band, this attaches the waist facing without any slip stitching and adds nice looking top stitching details.

I also constructed this dress using the flat method.  I sewed all of the front pieces together, bodice front, waist band front, and skirt front.  I did the same with all of the back pieces.  Then I sewed the front to the back, inserted the zipper, then the sleeves, and hemmed it.  This method works even better if the dress has a back zipper.  It allows you to make easy alterations on the side seams.  This is how I construct many of my dresses.

What do you think?  Do you like the inspiration dress with its slim skirt or the fuller skirt version?  Have you ever used the flat method to construct dresses (or anything else)?

17 comments:

  1. Your dress turned out fab! Way to go, and I love the color too. Janelle
    emmalinebags.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress came out very nicely. It is really close looking to the Modcloth version. I found your blog via Pattern Review. You've made some really cute things. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like it. I wouldn't change anything. looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so flattering and your back pleats are so well done. Skill envy from me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your dress turned out really cute! I think the full skirt looks the best. It helps balance out the gathers in the bodice. And, it's probably more comfortable to wear. Great idea using the flat method for ease in alterations...I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I think the fuller skirt was a great choice. I had no idea there was a term for that way of sewing dresses. Like you, I almost always sew them that way. I agree it makes alterations easier and it allows me to use an invisible zipper and a full lining. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the dress. And I think the buttons are fun. I would have sewn the front shut too. why do buttons if you have a zipper too?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your comments!
    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like it! You did a great job, and it's virtually the twin of the one you modeled it after. Great job!

    jess @ tupelocreative.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dress turned out lovely! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a wonderful job with your dress, love the skirt I think it makes it more lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work! Found you via Whatever Goes Wednesday on Someday Crafts. You are very creative! I'm now following you. Would love it if you'd check out my blog too at http://seamssustainable.com.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your version! I think that fuller skirt looks great with that top of the dress. The color is fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am considering purchasing this pattern and found your blog via Google. I actually prefer your version to your inspiration! Beautiful work! And I am very grateful to read about your measurement vs. actual cut on pattern size; this gives me courage to do the same seeing your fabulous result!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am considering purchasing this pattern and found your blog via Google. I actually prefer your version to your inspiration! Beautiful work! And I am very grateful to read about your measurement vs. actual cut on pattern size; this gives me courage to do the same seeing your fabulous result!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am considering purchasing this pattern and found your blog via Google. I actually prefer your version to your inspiration! Beautiful work! And I am very grateful to read about your measurement vs. actual cut on pattern size; this gives me courage to do the same seeing your fabulous result!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your dress turned out beautiful. I am in the process of making the dress I am stuck on the mid drift.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts - Suggestions? I love hearing your ideas!