Monday, March 19, 2012

My First Sorbetto

A couple of weeks ago during spring break, I completed my first Colette Sorbetto Top.  If you haven't heard of if yet, I highly recommend it... plus its free!  There have been some great versions of this top that I have seen.  For mine, I used a white sheet and lace from a valence, both from a thrift store.  The top goes great with jeans or a cute summer skirt.  Take a look.
I made a size 0 and used the length from size 18.  The sleeve pattern can be found here.

I made a muslin to check the fit after I saw that some people thought that the darts were too high.  That was a great decision because I realized that they actually did fall too high on me and were more horizontal than I wanted.  From the muslin, I also decided to put a center back seam in to take out excess fabric.  The side seams were only taken in minimally.  I also made the sleeve just a bit more narrow for this version.

Here are what the pattern pieces looked like after my alterations.  Excuse the glass pebbles, the patterns were rolled up and these were in a vase right were I was taking the pictures... they are great little weights to hold the pattern flat.

The pattern paper is actually Gift wrapping paper that I got on sale after Christmas, the grid lines are great for lining up grain lines and measuring
You can see that the dart is lower and is angled differently than the original size 0 dart.
The side seam was taken in slightly.  The new center back seam was mainly to take it in more at the waist.  Because of this the center back at the top is wider than the original to include a seam allowance.


You can see that I folded the center in on either side about 1 centimeter.  That is my normal amount for this sleeve.  For this top, I folded it again, about 1 cm, and folded the edges as well, another 1 cm.  This was the most that could have been take in, otherwise it would be too small to attach to the arm hole.
The center lace panel was cut as long as the shirt was and 3 1/2 inches wide.  I basted it down along the pleat lines and just sewed the pleat as usual, just adding top stitching down the length of the pleat.  The sleeves were made by basting the lace overlay on the sleeve just inside the seam line, then sewing them as usual.  The neckline is finished with self-made bias tape.


I will definitely be making more of this particular variation of the sorbetto.  All in all, this top only cost about 75 cents to make... probably even less since I used the same sheet as the lining to my pink jacket and still have more left over!

This is a great pattern and I can't wait to show you all another version of it that I made from a thrifted 90's blouse.

I think that I will make the neckline just a little less wide next time and extend the top of the shoulders out slightly since it seems bit narrow there.  What do you think?

Casey

3 comments:

  1. Very nice! Love the lace accents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog via the Blog Hop. I’m your newest GFC follower!
    http://our-reflection.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have lots of good ideas for this top! You've got me thinking.

    About your fit questions, I agree. A slightly narrower neckline would cover your bra straps. And also, moving the shoulder wider could ease up the faint pulls to the armhole. It might make the whole thing more comfortable for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts - Suggestions? I love hearing your ideas!