Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Two new skirts!

I have two skirts that I want to show you all today.  They were both just made with rectangles of fabric... no pattern needed!  They are skirts that I made months ago before I started this blog, but I still want to share them.

The first one was destined to become the bottom part of a dress that failed terribly.  I was not quite ready to tackle it at the time.  I still have the bodice, and hope to try again someday.  Oh well, at least I have a cool, mint skirt. 


Do you recognize that top? Its is the lace accent Sorbetto that I posted about a few days ago.  I think it works with this skirt with a tied brown woven belt.

The fabric is just some broadcloth from JoAnn's that caught my eye because of the color.  The amount of fabric that I had after attempting to make the dress was just barely enough to squeeze two large rectangles for the panels and a smaller one for the waist.  I used some iron on interfacing in the waist, as well. The zipper is just one that I picked up a thrift store for $0.10.  Overall, this skirt probably cost me about $3.50... not bad for a cute summer skirt.

The next one is an elastic waist skirt that I made after seeing this skirt on Sewing in No Mans Land.  I just loved the bright yellow color and the sash.  For my version, I decided to do an elastic waistband with 1 inch elastic and leave a little bit of fabric ruffling out at the top like paper bag skirts.  The sash is just to hide the elastic casing.



Here is a close up of the waist and sash. I also added three belt loops, two on the sides and one at the back.  I decided to do a wide (3 inch) hem for this skirt.  The fabric is just some more cheap broadcloth from Joann's.


There you have it. Two super quick and easy summer skirts that do not even need a pattern!

What do you think? Do you like making skirts from patterns or just winging it?

Casey

1 comment:

  1. A girl after my own heart! I love those skirts. You are too cute!
    W

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts - Suggestions? I love hearing your ideas!